Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I'm Your (wo)Man


imgres.jpg 


49202269.jpg

Leonard_Cohen_2181.jpg

I just saw an awesome documentary about the legendary Mr. Leonard Cohen. I thought he was really cool before but now he's infinitely cooler than ever before. I didn't know much about him except what wiki fed me and that he is a poet. In contrast to Bob Dylan he seems to be the structured, unassuming, brilliant poet that blows people's mind away once he shares his truth. I've always cherished his songs not because it was a catchy tune that was fun to hum along on a Sunday afternoon but I loved how he made me pay attention to his lyrics. I could be a pretty cheap listener and start singing songs without internalizing what the singer was saying but for Leonard I admired how he coyly commands me to listen and pay attention to his words.



Throughout, the movie he is of old age and reflects back on his life and career. There's these quotes that he says that I found so simple and brilliant. Here are some quotes stolen from IMDB

-Sometimes, when you no longer see yourself as the hero of your own drama, expecting victory after victory, and you understand deeply that this is not paradise... somehow we're, especially the privileged ones that we are, we somehow embrace the notion that this veil of tears, that it's perfectable, that you're going to get it all straight. I've found that things became a lot easier when I no longer expected to win.


-It was about the feeling that we have of betraying some mission that we were mandated to fulfill, and being unable to fulfill it. And then coming to understand that the real mandate was not to fulfill it, and that the deeper courage, was to stand guiltless in the predicament in which you found yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment